The holidays are meant to be enjoyed with family and friends, however it can be difficult to maintain a healthy diet. With traveling, family visits, and even the cold weather, it can be a lot easier said than done. Here are a few Healthy eating tips to help you over this Holiday season.
1. Maintain a regular Meal schedule. Do NOT skip meals, especially breakfast. Eating every two to three hours will keep you from being famished by the time the big meals roll around.
2. Have plenty of Sleep. It improves everything. Shoot for 7-9 hours of quality sleep a night. Plan your sleep like you plan your meeting or meals.
3. Wash your hands. No one wants to be sick over the holidays.
4. Drink water. Staying hydrated is key. Try Drinking a Glass of water 30 minutes before Thanksgiving Dinner. It will help against overeating.
5. Eat beforehand. Don’t show up to Thanksgiving dinner famished. Chances are you will overeat and end up with a “food coma”. Try eating some vegetables, nuts, seeds, or even an apple.
6. Bring a dish. Ask your host/hostess first, and if it’s all right, you can bring a healthy dish you know you can indulging in. Your host/hostess may thank you. Click here for Healthy Holiday Recipes.
7. Watch the Alcohol Intake. After a few drinks, you might find sticking to your health eating goals more difficult than when you started. If you steer clear of the booze, your head and your body will thank you the next day.
8. Be Reasonable. Choose reasonable portions of the dishes you love most and leave the others on the table. Most people tend to eat everything that is on their plate, so keep the portions small and controllable.
9. Table Talk. Chat in between bites to slow down your food consumption. Allow your food to settle and give your body the opportunity to feel full. Eating too fast can lead to having seconds and thirds and increases risk of overeating.
10. Never too late. Did you Overeat at your first holiday party? That’s no reason to give up on the season and wait until after the New Year to focus on your health. Start now and it will be much easier to get to your goals after the New Year.
These Healthy Eating Tips will keep you from over indulging during the big holiday meals. Along with a healthy diet, regular exercise is crucial to staying fit. Register now to one of our group training classes and get started on your exercise program today.